Thursday, September 2

You Can't Spell WELL Without EL

I cannot deny that my first days in De La Salle was a hurting experience.


(Tres Marias; From left: Elladen Punzalan, Jamille Pajarillo, Me)


(Crammer's United; From left: Me, Faye R., Kenneth P., Kenji L., Ryan R., Meg G., Bien C., Denise S.)


Most of my high school friends and classmates chose the academe of UP Manila and Diliman. I was left alone in De La Salle, left alone in the confines of the towering buildings, left alone with no idea who to know and what to do. As I entered the gates of my beloved Alma Mater, I was full of apprehension not because I was afraid of the discovering the unknown, but because I knew that if I just went to UP, then I would still be with my dear friends. The thought of not being with them ate my morale, and it made me melancholic.

Weeks before the first day of classes, we were feasting chats about our orientation days (DLSU, UP and ADMU). We were all boasting each of our future college's welcoming. I was so proud of LPEP2k10 - its activities and food and all, but the back of my head still says that it would've been a lot of fun if I were with my friends, crying shouts for Peyups. Suddenly, I had a paradigm shift after getting close with my blockmates.

Being the shy creature that I am, seldom do I initiate conversations with other people. However, I felt the need to open up because I wouldn't survive life if I constantly shielded myself from civilization. Fortunately, my high school unconsciously taught me street smarts and made the effort to give me some confidence, so I mustered the courage I had and started talking. I offered a beaming smile whenever I shared a word or two to my then new-found friends (and I can say that the smiles I offered were genuine).


My first term stay in De La Salle was made bearable because of the family I now have. I am very fortunate for destiny seemed to have written my life story almost perfectly, I was able to meet some great people. In my block I saw not only friends, but artists, writers, comedienne, singers, dancers and dreamers - people who, like me, are bound to the great future unknown to all. With my beloved block (EL/E82 - ECE) did I share laughs and aches, joys and pains.

It would be a great pleasure to list the great memories I have with my blockmates, but I know that a hundred, or even a thousand words won't do it justice. Like a photographer, I believe that to capture moments in still frames is one of the best ways (if not the best) to preserve such great happenings. However, I cannot help but share with you some of the momentous events I had with my block.

(1) Grapone.
They say that love hurts, but I say that Grapone hurts even more. I am one with the sentiments of my blockmates whenever it comes to Grapone.

(2) Engtrig.
All I can say is that the shifting of teachers we had was one of the life-saving actions DLSU did for majority of our block.

(3) Engalg.
My head ached after having a 1-day straight Algebra discussion with my blockmates, but it was fun. Way too fun. If I could just have a steadier mind and a healthier body or two, I would not more so share the things I know to my blockmates.

And this list would go on and on.

9 Girls.
34 Boys.
14 Weeks.
9 Subjects.
One block.
EL.

Perhaps I am just one frosh full of sentiments of the soul, but this testament of mine is all I can offer to my dearest blockmates who have done a great deal in honing me. I know it has been a mutual relationship among us, sharing what we can to each other.

I also know that someday, this will end, but I also know that these memories will forever remain. So why dwell with the impermanent when one can always linger with thoughts of forever?


Maraming maraming salamat, mga kaibigan!
Kamsahamnida, chingu!

2 comments: